Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Out On A Whim

If you follow my status updates on Facebook, and I know you all follow me religiously--LOL, then you know that I posted the other day, "The worst they can do is say no." Now I'm not so sure. I entered a proposal writing contest without even a rough draft of the book done, just an outline. What can I say, it was a whim. I started working on the book and it feels like it's taking a different direction than what I proposed. While I think it is better than what was proposed I wonder if I have to write what I proposed if the powers that be say, "Yes." So if the rule is that I have to write what I proposed then maybe the worst they can say is, "Yes." Don't get me wrong I'll still jump at the opportunity and write to the assignment I've given myself but I think it'll be a tough project to reign in. Writing can be like that. As a writer you want to harness it and have it heel but sometimes you gotta let that dog off the leash to romp and play. Ya I've got dogs on the mind. Strudel is the Seeing Eye Dog in the novel I started writing in 2009. That's another concern of mine. Maybe I'm not a novel writier. Or maybe it's tough because I've got characters based on my family but with a good deal of fiction thrown in. NaNoWriMo was a whim afterall. I hope it's not an indicator of how well I do with whims. Only time will tell if this latest whim turns into something whimsical or a whammy. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. I would have such a difficult time writing out a proposal unless it was based on a book already written I think. My writing takes on a mind of it's own when I get going. I hear authors say things like "I had no idea my character was going to do that" and I think ' oh, you too?" It's fun, surprising and I just see it is another sign of this being the gift God gave me and i let Him have control of the pen/keyboard. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I write a proposal or even a rough outline of what I am going to write 99/9% of the time it goes in a totally different direction. I hope "the powers that be" let it go with your new direction...

    ReplyDelete