Wednesday, March 6, 2013


Edie Melson had a helpful blog post over at The Write Conversation yesterday and I couldn't wait to share what I learned. The second week of March is National Bubble Week. You should hop on over to Edie's blog (after reading mine of course) to find out other fun dates on the calendar. For now I'm going to stay with the bubbles: they're wonderful aren't they? I mean think about it, you take something that's usually used for a chore (dishsoap) and add a couple ingredients and give a kid a wand and watch magic happen. Suddenly soap isn't cleaning crud off dishes, it's clearing the grumpies and making room for smiles. And not just on the children's faces. Bubbles have transforming power on adults too.

I can remember a time when bubbles made me very happy. When I told Mom about it, she praised my cleverness. My daughter, her strong-willed grandaughter was about 3 years old. Her other grandmother was babysitting and my little girl didn't want to leave. But I had to get home and start dinner. I can't blame her for wanting to stay: Grandma Pat was blowing bubbles with her. I was not in the mood for a fight (whereas my daughter always was) and, thankfully, a brilliant idea came to me. I told my daughter the bubbles were going towards our house and we'd better hurry to go catch them. She jumped right in the car and off we went without a fuss. I'd tell you her reaction when we got home and there were no bubbles but I can't remember--I was too busy basking in the fact I'd impressed my mother-in-law. 

That little girl is 20 now and she still likes blowing bubbles. I've even gotten them for her on her last few birthdays. The only problem with bubbles is they're hard to describe to a blind person and I don't know if Mom blew bubbles in her childhood. But Mom could hear giggles and I suppose if I ever blew bubbles she would've heard the jingling of bells as I chased them around the yard. (For you newbies, that's a reference to the bells I had tied to my shoes when I was a little girl so Mom could hear me better when I was outside playing.) 

Bottom line is this: happiness is a wonderful thing to hear even if you can't see the source of it. So go ahead laugh out loud for the joy Christ has placed within you. There may be a spiritually blind person within earshot that needs to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment