Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Enough

Enough by Max Lucado Posted: 03 Aug 2010 11:01 PM PDT “He is able . . . to run to the cry of . . . those who are being . . . tested.” Hebrews 2:18 AMP Jesus was angry enough to purge the temple, hungry enough to eat raw grain, distraught enough to weep in public, fun loving enough to be called a drunkard, winsome enough to attract kids, . . . radical enough to get kicked out of town, responsible enough to care for his mother, tempted enough to know the smell of Satan, and fearful enough to sweat blood . . . Whatever you are facing, he knows how you feel." Enough is a whole word contraction in Braille. It can't be used with punctuation but is fine in the middle of a sentence as long as it's not followed by a comma. I took a formal class to learn the Braille code in 2003-2004. In 2002-2003 I was a transcriber for a blind girl at my children's school and had to go on what I could learn on my own. People were surprised that up to that point all I knew was the alphabet and I didn't really know it. I used a cheat sheet to painstakingly make my mom birthday and Mother's Day cards. Somewhere along the way I heard that the code was created to make transcribing the Bible easier or to make it less cumbersome. I'll go with less cumbersome. The code means that not every word has to be spelled out therefore taking up about a third of the space. Mom had a Bible which was split up into volumes which sat on a 4-foot bookshelf. With this in mind I've often wondered why some words have contractions and some don't. (There are also contractions for partial words and words represented by 1, 2, 3 or 4 letters.) This morning Max Lucado's thoughts on the word enough landed in my e-mail in-box. Jesus is enough to meet my need for understanding. Jesus is enough in the midst of whatever I'm going through. And if He's just enough, that too can be spelled with three symbols and ending punctuation instead of 6 letters. I never asked why some words were chosen to be whole-word contractions or short-form words but this morning's e-mail would lead me to believe that the one's that have something really important to say are the chosen ones. Jesus is enough for me. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment