Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Lord, I need my lightbulb changed

The other day the flourescent light bulbs in my kitchen finally burned out. They had become dimmer and sometimes flickered but I didn't bother maintenance until they went out and I was cooking by the dim light that came in from the hall. Hey, what can I say, growing up with a blind mother has served me well. One of her favorite "when he was little" stories to tell about my brother was how he would go around the house and turn on the lights with his bottle. I guess she didn't really think to do it. And a lightbulb was never changed unless someone told her it had gone out.

I wonder if spiritually we behave similarly. Jesus calls us to be the light of the world (not light bulbs which as you know fail.) But what happens when our light grows dim or is inconsistant (flickers)? Do we notice? My maintenance man was here within the hour to replace the special bulbs. The Lord is even quicker. He can relight our fire if we only ask. My mother didn't know it was time to replace a burned out bulb until someone else told her. I can't think of a time when spiritually my mother's light burned out. She was such a strong woman of faith.

My kitchen is now brighter than it's been in a long time. Spiritually I can be too. "Lord, light the fire again." ( This is also a title to a song by Brian Doerksen)

No comments:

Post a Comment